Social Action Committee
Be the Change You Want to See in the World
Join the Social Action Committee (SAC)
The UUFA Social Action Committee ( SAC ) regularly meets on the first Sunday of each month, beginning at 12;30 pm in a meeting room at the Fellowship. YOU are invited to attend this meeting to learn about how they make a difference in our world, locally and globally.
Join the UUFA SAC email group
If you would like to know what transpires in the UUFA SAC, join our Social Action Committee listserv by clicking here. This listserv will let you know what transpires not only in the UUFA SAC but also in the local Athens area in terms of social action. Everyone is encouraged to sign up!
Among the initiatives that the UUFA SAC works with throughout the year are the following:
- Cause of the Month: For information on UUFA’s Cause of the Month initiative, click here.
- CANtributions to the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank:Have you every wondered what the large wicker baskets at the front of the sanctuary during the Sunday worship service, at the Forum, or at the children’s worship services are for? UUFA “CANtributes” to the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank and is in competition with 25 other area churches! The wicker basket at the front of the sanctuary service is willing and able to receive your CANtributions of either nonperishable food items (Tuna, saltines, and pork and beans are always needed.) or of cash or checks.
- Interfaith Hospitality Network of Athens: Mark Hodges represents UUFA at IHNA. This organization offers temporary shelter for families without homes.
- Our Daily Bread: Volunteers have the opportunity to help with meal preparation on the third Thursday of each month or meal serving on the third Friday of each month.
- Can YoUUr Birthday: Whenever you celebrate your birthday, bring nonperishable food items for every year you are celebrating. For example, turning 60? Bring 60 cans!
The wicker basket as you enter the sanctuary is willing and able to receive your CANtributions whether you are celebrating your birthday or not!All CANtributions will be donated to the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank.
View the draft agenda for the most recent SAC meeting by clicking here.
View the SAC PowerPoint by clicking here.
View the video of the UUFA trip to Selma by clicking here.
View prior initiatives by SAC by clicking here.
Contact David Jarrett (firstname.lastname@example.org) for more information.