Upcoming Justice Meetings & Events
- Cause of the Month Conversation 12/03/2017 10:05 am - 10:50 am Fellowship Hall
- Social Action Committee 12/03/2017 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Admin Office
- Justice Fest 12/09/2017 2:00 pm - 10:00 pm Fellowship Hall, Sanctuary, Kitchen
- Dinner Sponsored by FREE 12/13/2017 6:30 pm Kitchen & Fellowship Hall
- Our Daily Bread cooking 12/14/2017 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm Kitchen
- Sanctuary Movement Team 12/14/2017 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Sofa Room
- Cause of the Month Conversation 01/07/2018 10:05 am - 10:50 am Fellowship Hall
- Social Action Committee 01/07/2018 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Admin Office
- Dinner Sponsored by FREE 01/10/2018 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm Kitchen & Fellowship Hall
- Sanctuary Movement Team 01/11/2018 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Sofa Room
- Our Daily Bread cooking 01/18/2018 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm Kitchen
- Cause of the Month Conversation 02/04/2018 10:05 am - 10:50 am Fellowship Hall
- Social Action Committee 02/04/2018 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Admin Office
- Sanctuary Movement Team 02/08/2018 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Sofa Room
- Our Daily Bread cooking 02/15/2018 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm Kitchen
- Common Read Book Discussion: Daring Democracy 02/25/2018 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Ocean Room
- Common Read Discussion: Daring Democracy 02/27/2018 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm Sofa Room
- Cause of the Month Conversation 03/04/2018 10:05 am - 10:50 am Fellowship Hall
- Social Action Committee 03/04/2018 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Admin Office
- Sanctuary Movement Team 03/08/2018 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Sofa Room
- Our Daily Bread cooking 03/15/2018 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm Kitchen
- Common Read Discussion: Daring Democracy 03/25/2018 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Ocean Room
- Common Read Discussion: Daring Democracy 03/27/2018 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm Sofa Room
- Cause of the Month Conversation 04/01/2018 10:05 am - 10:50 am Fellowship Hall
- Social Action Committee 04/01/2018 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Admin Office
- Sanctuary Movement Team 04/12/2018 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Sofa Room
- Our Daily Bread cooking 04/19/2018 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm Kitchen
- Cause of the Month Conversation 05/06/2018 10:05 am - 10:50 am Fellowship Hall
- Social Action Committee 05/06/2018 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Admin Office
- Common Read Discussion 05/07/2018 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm Sofa Room
- Sanctuary Movement Team 05/10/2018 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Sofa Room
- Common Read Discussion 05/14/2018 7:00 pm - 8:30 pm Sofa Room
- Our Daily Bread cooking 05/17/2018 2:00 pm - 4:00 pm Kitchen
- Social Action Committee 06/03/2018 12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Admin Office
- Sanctuary Movement Team 06/14/2018 5:00 pm - 7:00 pm Sofa Room
- Social Action Committee 07/08/2018 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm Admin Office
- Soaps Support U-Lead and SAC
Support U-Lead and the UUFA Social Action Committee through the purchase of handmade soaps by member Jean-Marie Buxton on Sundays in November.
Jean is donating 100 percent of the monies collected to these two groups!
- November 17: Justice Partner Participation
The Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement will hold a protest rally at the UGA Arch on Friday, November 17, to publicize the second discrimination complaint filed against a Downtown Athens bar. The rally will begin at 5:30 and end at City Hall on College Avenue and include prominent local figures and political candidates such as Tim Denson and Ovita Thornton in addition to Grady Martin, Mariah Parker, Beto Cacao, and others.
Click here to read more.
UUFA’s Social Action Committee officially adopted AADM as a Justice Partner at its October 2017 meeting.
- Standing on the Side of Love:
Two weeks ago, the second season of Fortification, a podcast about the spiritual lives of organizers and activists was launched, this time in collaboration with Auburn. Fortification is an opportunity to hear from people within and across faith and spiritual traditions to talk about some of the questions facing organizers, communities and institutions in these times.
The newest interview features author, speaker, faithful activist, and public theologian Brian McLaren.
Be sure to subscribe on iTunes, GooglePlay and SoundCloud to get the episode and stay up to date with our next one in two weeks.
- UUFA Is Cooking!
What’s cooking? Hopefully you might be. 🙂 Help is needed on Thursday, November 16, at 2 p.m. to prepare the monthly meal for Our Daily Bread. Help is also needed on Friday, November 17, from 11:30 to 1 to serve the meal. Interested? Questions? Contact David Jarrett (firstname.lastname@example.org or 706.338.2798).
Our Daily Bread Community Kitchen serves breakfast and lunch Monday-Friday and a sack meal on the weekends. Annually, this program provides more than 60,000 nutritious meals with gracious hospitality to men, women, and children in need and offers a gateway to other transformational services. Partnering with more than 70 volunteer groups. Our Daily Bread in Athens has served meals seven days per week, 365 days per year since 1989.
Our Daily Bread outreach is part of UUFA’s Justice Cluster.
- December 3: Christmas Angel Project Gifts Due to UUFA
Christmas Angel Project 2017 Update
UUFA is once again participating in the Department of Family and Children’s Services (DFCS) gift program for needy children.
Reminder: The deadline to deliver gifts to UUFA is Sunday, December 3. Please make sure the name tag you are given for your child is clearly affixed to the gift bag.
Each holiday season many children in foster care receive few, if any, gifts over the holidays. Due to the generosity of its members and friends, UUFA has successfully participated in this program for over 20 years.
For further information, contact Connie Bruce (email@example.com or 706.264.7822) or UUFA Congregational Administrator Shaye Gambrell) (firstname.lastname@example.org, 706-546-7914).
The Christmas Angel Project is being sponsored by UUFA’s Social Action Committee, a part of the Justice Cluster.
- December 16: Visit to Stewart Detention
Join members of the UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team on a visit to El Refugio and Stewart Detention Center on Saturday, December 16.
El Refugio is a hospitality house located in Lumpkin, GA – right outside the gates of Stewart Detention Center whose purpose is to serve the family and friends of men detained and, thus, separated from their loved ones.
Click here to sign up.
For more information about this visit, please read the El Refugio Visitor’s Manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-sojNRbRJ4wd0E0UWRZcm9NbDdyMGJhUnRMclN1X1hFRTM4/view?usp=sharing
Questions? Contact Chase White (email@example.com or 864.238.1870).
The Sanctuary Movement Team is part of the UUFA Justice Cluster.
- Can you CANtribute?
As of September 30, UUFA is in FOURTH place in the friendly competition among the 25 faith communities who CANtribute regularly to the Athens Area Emergency Food Bank.
With our year-to-date CANtributions of 1423 items, we are 2570 items out of first place! 🙁
However, we are only 306 items away from third place!
Targeted donations for October include saltine crackers, rice, and boxes of instant oatmeal/grits.
The wicker basket as you enter the sanctuary is willing and able to receive your CANtributions.
Not a fan of shopping? Savvy Social Action Committee (SAC) shoppers will convert your monetary donation to nonperishable food items. See any member of SAC.
- November 27: Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition
You are invited to attend the next meeting of the Interfaith Sanctuary Coalition on Monday, November 27, from 7-8:30 p.m. at Oconee Street UMC.
This group is called to do the following:
–Cultivate relationships with undocumented immigrant families and individuals – this is the foundation of what directs us
–Support legal aid defense funding – ALCES and the Latin American Association
—Partner with Community Support for Families in Crisis Due to Deportation/ Detention by providing financial support, becoming a Buddy, advocating for detainees, providing transportation, or becoming a temporary guardian
This group meets the fourth Monday of every month.
For further information, contact UUFA Sanctuary Movement Team Chair Chase White: firstname.lastname@example.org or 864.238.1870.
- November 5: Cause of the Month Conversation
Please join the Cause of the Month Conversation on Sunday, November 5, from 10:05-10:50 a.m. in the Fellowship Hall to learn more about The Ark.
- Save the Date–December 2: Justice Partner Participation
You are invited to participate in the Athens Anti-Discrimination Movement (AADM) Sticker Campaign on Saturday, December 2, 2017 beginning at 3:45 pm.About the Sticker Campaign:We are once again going to the downtown businesses to request that they post our sticker on their outer door or window. Our goal is 100% participation!We’ll meet at World Famous, 351 N Hull St, Athens, GA 30601, at 3:45 pm, where Debra Brenner, Project Leader, will give out assignments and instructions, along with a dialog you can use when addressing employees. After an hour or hour and one-half or so, we’ll meet back up at World Famous again for a debriefing, sharing experiences, handing in of \ assignments, and time to enjoy a bit to eat if you’d like.For further information, contact Debra Brenner. email@example.com.UUFA’s Social Action Committeeofficially adopted AADM as a Justice Partner at its October 2017 meeting.