SPRING Schedule & Curricula
Children’s Religious Education (RE)
PreK~5th Grade RE classes for this age level take place during the 11am service. Children gather with their parents in the sanctuary to enjoy the first 15 minutes of worship together and then “sing out” to their religious education program from 11:15-12:15. Parents are asked to please pick up promptly at 12:15.
There are no RE classes at 9am, though childcare is available as needed.
Youth Group & Coming of Age (CoA) Youth in grades 6-12 meet together on and the Second Sundays from 11-12:30 pm and on Fourth Sundays from 12:30-2pm.
- Chalice Children (Gr. preK-1) meets in the Forest Room for World of Wonder during second service.
- Seekers (Gr 2-5) meets in the Ocean Room for the UUA’s Miracles online curriculum, along with Hands-On Nature, during second service.
- Youth Group/CoA (Gr 6-12) meets in the Youth Room for the lessons from the Coming of Age Handbook for Congregations, a UU Identity program.
- Nursery for children 3 & under Our nursery caregivers, Erin Favre & Marcus Prince are happy to care for our youngest UUs during services. Children of all ages may join them during the forum or any other UUFA activities held between services. Children through age 4 may attend the nursery during all-ages services. Hours are 8:45-12:15 when there are two services.
April 2 CWS
Children & youth begin in the sanctuary, then dismiss to the Rainbow Room for our monthly 1st Sunday Children’s Worship Service (CWS). This Sunday, we introduce the congregational theme of Transformation, focusing on changes in nature, the Water Bearer’s Garden story, and prepping for the All-Ages Worship Service with our very own flower communion. Children’s Music Leader Paul Eskildsen will lead theme-related music.
April 9 RE Classes
- Chalice Children~ Thanks for the Trees
- Seekers~The Miracle of Transformation
- Youth~ Justice Unit: Working on Community Service Project, 11-12:30
April 16 Classes & Easter!
During both the 9am and 11 am service, children will gather in classrooms for natural egg dying and other Easter/Springtime activities.. Egg Hunt begins at 10:15am.
April 23 All-Ages Worship Service
This month’s intergenerational worship service celebrates Earth Day, with emphasis on Norman Capek’s Flower Communion and the water that sustains all life.
There are no religious education classes during all-ages worship services, but childcare is available as needed. Children and youth are invited to participate in Flower Communion and other elements of worship. See Upcoming Events for practice and props sessions. Please let Morgan or Liz (firstname.lastname@example.org) know of your child’s interest.
April 30 All-RE Service for the Earth
During the 11am service, children and youth will dismiss from the sanctuary to one class for a service project to earth, in honor of our 7th Principle and 6th Source. Children are encouraged to wear play clothes that may get messy!
Each Sunday during RE Class or the CWS, we pass an offering can to give children the opportunity to donate to our children’s charity, Food 2 Kids, which assists children who are at risk of hunger by sending them home from school with easy-to-prepare bags of food. Please encourage your children to bring their change or dollar bills for this love offering.
- Children’s Religious Education Committee This team partners with the Director of Religious Education to oversee all components of the Children’s Religious Education program, including Sunday RE, All-Ages worship services, and special events. We meet on the SECOND SUNDAY, following the second service, in the Youth Room. You’re welcomed to come by any time and see what we’re up to! Next Meeting, April 9, 12:30-2pm
- Classroom Monitors Classroom monitors are needed for each RE room to help the DRE and teachers straighten and organize materials in both the rooms and in the RE Supply closet to help keep our materials easily accessible to teachers. Occasional table wiping, window washing, and floor shampooing would be plusses! Work on your own time, or coordinate with other monitors for more fun!
- All-Ages Worship Helpers When we invite children and youth to participate in service, it’s always great to have more hands on deck. Please let Morgan know if you’d like to assist with the March 19 Spring Equinox service or the April 23rd Earth Day service. Helpers assist with props and costume preparations, as well as “people moving”.
- Classroom Teachers It’s already time to start thinking about next year! Please be on the lookout for volunteer sign-ups for the 2017-18 program year. We’ll start REcruiting in April, and you can be thinking ahead on how you’d like to help build beloved community through RE.
Sunday, April 16 Egg Hunt and Festivities During both the 9am and 11am worship services, children will dismiss from the sanctuary for egg-dying and more Easter and Spring-time fun. Please bring old silk ties to share for this project, along with your baskets for the Egg Hunt! Please gather between 10-10:15 in the grassy area of playground for Egg Hunt to begin at 10:15.
Sunday, April 23 All-Ages Earth Day Worship Service All are welcomed and encouraged to stay in the sanctuary for this intergenerational service, led by RE and Green Sanctuary Chair, Liz Weaver. Oppojrtunities for practice and prepping materials are as follows:
- Wednesday, April 5, 5:45-7:15, Ocean Room
- Wednesday, March 15, 5:45-7:15, Ocean Room
Youth Service Project As part of their Justice unit in the Coming of Age curriculum, youth in grades 6-12 are encouraged to participate in a community service project. Upon brainstorming in March, participants have arrived at a Business Recycling Campaign. Work dates are:
- Wednesday, April 5, 5:45-7:15
- Sunday, April 9, 11am, during Youth Meeting
- Friday, April 21, 6pm, Pizza Party and Grand Finish!
- Sunday, May 21
RE Program Year Finale
- RE Sunday~ We’ll celebrate the year’s accomplishments in RE, honor our volunteers, and hear our Coming of Age Participants speak and graduate. A reception follows the service.
- Coming of Age/Youth~ Closing Celebration after worship service.